We Offer Hiking, Fishing & Paddling Adventures
Our goal is to create a safe and fun adventure! All levels of experience and ability are welcome. Adaptable Outdoors staff and volunteers provide support as needed. Registration is open to adults of all ages and children ages 6+. We ask that children under the age of 12 be accompanied by a parent/guardian or caregiver. Family members, friends, or caregivers are welcome to attend with the participant. Equipment for family members/friends/caregivers is not guaranteed, but they are welcome to bring their own if they have it.
Adaptable Outdoors staff/volunteers do not provide personal care (eg. feeding/toileting). For clients of any age needing assistance with personal care, we require that a caregiver be present.
For any questions about us, our programming or to sign up for a volunteer role not listed;
Contact us at – email@example.com or book over the phone at 403-632-4749
Introduction to our Research Project
Welcome to our research study, entitled “Measuring Health-Quality of Life and Wellbeing for Individuals of All Abilities Through Participation in Adapted Recreation”.
This is a joint project between the University of Lethbridge and Adaptable Outdoors.
This data helps Adaptable Outdoors to ensure our programs are having the desired impact on all involved. The data is also used to help us secure funding so our programs can become more sustainable and therefore be around to help people for a long time. Thank you to everyone who agreed to be a part of our research last year and thanks to all of those who are willing to take part in 2022, it is greatly appreciated and a big help to our cause!
This year clients have the ability to complete their first survey online, prior to coming out to the event. This will save time on the day and mean we can get on the trials and water quicker on program days. You can find the links to complete the pre-survey at the bottom of this page.
For a walkthrough of the survey process please watch this handy video created by our research team:
AdaptABLE Outdoors Research Information – YouTube
- Will engaging in one adapted recreation experience improve Health Quality of Life (H-QOL) and well-being for clients with physical, cognitive, and mental health issues ages 8+, volunteers and family/ caregivers ages 18+?
- What qualities of the overall adapted recreation sessions impacted participant experience?
How to participate:
Your participation in this research is completely voluntary. Your continued participation should be as informed as your initial consent/assent, so you should feel free to ask for clarification or new information throughout your participation. You can let us know you are withdrawing, in person or via email. If you do this, all information from you will be destroyed.
You may permit your child to be in the study. If you or your child change your mind, there are no consequences at all. If you want to be in the study and then change your mind later, you can do that too. You can stop being in this study at any time by letting us know.
How is the study being conducted?
- With informed consent, you will be asked to complete two assessments, before and after you participate, observe or volunteer in the activity. After the activity, you will be asked to fill in a feedback survey. You will only have to fill out this paperwork one time.
- With a signed assent form for minors, you will be asked to complete one assessment (based on your observation) before and after participation in the activity. After the activity, you will be asked to fill in a feedback survey. With a signed assent form, trained researchers will write fieldnotes before, during and after the activity. You will only have to fill out this paperwork one time.
- Participants may receive the end results when the study is complete and all data has been analyzed.
What must be completed for minor participants?
Minors or individuals not legally able to sign documents for themselves must have the assent of their parent or guardian. This process is for parents or guardians who give permission for their minor/ individual in their care to be a part of the study.
Assent form for minors (cognitoforms.com)
Social and Personal Relationship Scale for Minors (cognitoforms.com)
Optional: Feedback Survey (cognitoforms.com)
What must be completed for adult participants?
Volunteers and caregivers who are legally able to sign documents on behalf of themselves can participate in this research in addition to the clients.
- Caregivers and volunteers who physically observe the client participating also meet the criteria to be in the study. We want to measure how adapted activity can impact the Health Quality of Life (H-QOL) and wellbeing of the caregiver or volunteer, even if they themselves do not take part in the activity.
- Please note that caregivers who do NOT physically observe their child do not meet the criteria for the study.
Adult Participant Consent Form (cognitoforms.com)
Wellbeing Self-Assessment – ADULT (cognitoforms.com)
Optional: Feedback Survey (cognitoforms.com)
Why is this study being conducted?
The purpose of this project is to explore the experience of a variety of adapted recreation activities on Health Quality of Life (H-QOL) and well-being for clients (ages 8 +) with physical, cognitive, and mental health challenges, volunteers and families/caregivers (ages 18+).
How is this study being conducted for minors?
Who can participate in this study?
Am I required to participate in this study?
Your participation in this research is completely voluntary, and you can change your mind at any time. There are no consequences for choosing not to participate in this research study. You will still be able to participate in your regular activities with Adaptable Outdoors.
Can I quit the research study at any time?
Yes. You are able to withdraw from the study at any time.
What happens to the information I provide?
After the research team leaves, your information will be analyzed and used to write research articles. Your name will never be shared with anyone other than the research team. Your name is removed from all documents and you will be assigned a random ‘code’.
Who can I contact if I have questions?
For questions related to the research, please contact Amanda Ervin: